I went to the cinema today. To be honest, I had not done that for at least two months before tonight. That fact, plus me really needing to relax after having gone through a couple of rather tough days, made me feel all excited about seeing the Cloud Atlas even at the point when commercials did not cease to appear one after another for 25 minutes before the movie. I think I forgot what a pleasure it is to just go and enjoy staring at an enormous screen with tons of other people anticipating the same thing as you are, that is being literally dragged into a whole new world with amazingly crafted characters and complex plot twists. Fortunately, some movie makers are able to do that, with others failing miserably. And I feel obliged to say that the movie makers of the Cloud Atlas, despite putting a couple of awkward scenes into the movie, did a really good job.
I'm currently listening to the soundtrack of the movie and am having difficulties trying to stop thinking of the experience of having seen it today. Not only is its soundtrack utterly beautiful when taken out of the context of the whole movie and listened without having seen it, but it also perfectly harmonises with what the movie has to say and how it's been presented.
What is more, I am still amazed at how well the cast was chosen. For the whole plot was rather complex, involving one actor or actress playing different characters living in completely different environments and time and representing subsequent incarnations of the same 'soul'. I assume it was known from the start that it would take really skilled professionals to do it in a way that would guarantee the success of the movie, and Tom Hanks, Keith David, Susan Sarandon and Hugh Grant did it extraordinarily well (haha I was highly impressed with Hank's ability to fake Manchester accent, that was the pure awesomeness part in the movie!).
On the other hand though, it seemed to last for a little too long and the plot was straddled at certain moments. What I mean by stating the latter is that it did not stick to telling the story that I thought was meant to be said and that is the story ultimately trying to convey a message of repeatability of both our good and bad actions, of The Truth, the unfairness of the world around us, of acts of kindness and their effect on who we become later on in life and even after that and of masses of people blindly believing in something that is not real until there comes one person who changes it all. I felt as if some of the scenes in the movie were unnecessarily put there, as they didn't have anything to do with none of the above, but, all in all, I really enjoyed watching it.
Oh, and they did not fuck up the story of a love affair between two of the main characters. Which, as a side note, is so easily done these days.
I hope you're having a lovely evening x
We'll see how it goes.
No comments:
Post a Comment