2013/02/27

What's up with the movies?

I have indulged myself in watching Ray today and the only thing I can say about that is: WATCH IT! It's an amazing movie filled with so many incredibly talented actors carrying off their parts perfectly well. Additionally, it's also based on a marvellously crafted script, where Ray's powerful songs are quite fantastically incorporated into the plot of the movie.
What I want to write about though is that I cannot really understand how the movies have changed over the years. And no, I do not wish to discuss commercialism, neither do I want to imply that nowadays movies are better or worse than they were a couple of years ago. I have possibly misled you in my statement and I do apologise.
What I meant is that my perception of the movies I'm watching has changed quite a lot recently. It's something I could not grasp the concept of when I firstly started thinking about it.I'm sure now though.
I remember that as if it was yesterday. A couple of years ago, I would go to the cinema or watch a movie at home to enter a whole new, fascinating and unknown world. I held on tightly to the fantasy world created by the people involved in the film making process. I remember having been able to spot every single incredible detail in the movie that would in some way be detached from reality. 'Wow, he can fly! On a dragon! Carrying a sword, trying to get into a castle and save the princess!' I thought. 'I can now go home and while smoking my lungs out dream about how amazing it would be to be that princess'. Needless to say, I never actually thought I could become one. I was happy and excited about the mere notion of imagining things that are not real. Since they can never happen, why would I not want to create an imaginary world full of the fantastically unreal things I saw in the movies earlier? Why wouldn't I?
Having watched Ray made me realised how that changed. Alas, I have not been able to watch many movies recently, apart from carrying out an occasionall Bollywood marathon. What I noticed though is that now I am looking at movies from a different perspective. I reckon it's a matter of asking different questions. 'What is it I can suck out of the content of the movie that does not exist in the real world?' as in opposing to 'What is it that is actually real in the movie I'm currently watching?'.
On the contrary to what you might think though, I do not find movies more boring, nor in any way dull. If anything, I get more excited thant ever when I get a chance to see one. But that thought still lingers on in my mind: I ceased to notice the fantastical details in the movie. I now know that there is more to it than that. 
For whatever it is I am watching, be it 'Ray' or 'Twilight', there are always some things that remain to be true in the real world. Simple human behaviours, mechanisms of action. Taking Twilight as the easiest example, we all know vampires do not exist (or do they?). But wouldn't a girl be devastated like Bella if a boy like Edward left her? Wouldn't a family always stick together, even if some metaphorical Volturi clan threatened one of its members? 

Don't judge me for using the example of Twilight. I sat an English test on comprehensive reading today. The article given was on Twilight. It's sort of stuck in my head today.

The sight of stuffy, bespectacled greying men berating films aimed primarily at teenage girls is as farcical as it is depressing. While I would probably argue with Mark's opinion, at least I know that berating means criticising. I got that one right :)
It's 2013 everyone!
Hope you have a good one x

We'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment